mardi 3 avril 2012

1st blogged sewing project! (and 2nd completed, but more on that later. Maybe)



Styling, from head to feet (and apart from the dress, which is detailed further in this post) :
Hair flowers, one from Claire’s, the other (a tiger orchid) from www.paradirama.com
Necklace and bamboo tiles, Hawaiian-themed bracelet : www.paradirama.com
Ring-watch : Claire’s
Shoes : Siesta, from the Miss L Fire S/S 12 collection
Handbag : Black Roses, bought from Rock à Gogo in Nantes, but is going to pieces and seriously needs to be replaced.

Pattern : Colette Patterns Crepe.
Fabric : Alexander Henry’s black « Corazones » cotton fabric for the skirt, plus some plain black cotton for the top (from my local fabric store – because I didn’t have enough of the latter to make the whole dress in it) and red microfiber for the waist ties. Plus some fusible interfacing.
Notions : none, as this dress has no closures to sew.
Any difficulties ? None whatsoever, though I was at first daunted by how many patterns pieces there were ! But it all went allright, and on the whole I’m quite pleased with the result. I made 2 muslins. After I did the 1st I incidentally fell over Gertie's Crepe Sew-Along posts...and found out the back of the bodice was gaping. So I made a 2nd, and used these measures for the finished dress.
I just stupidly screwed up the easisest part – the hem – because my sewing machine started fooling around. I finally succeeded in sewing my hem but did a really poor job of it…but hey, seam-rippers are our best friends, aren’t they ? Nothing there that cannot be fixed I think.
Wear again ? A soon as the hem is fixed, yes I will! And maybe I should do some sort of finish on the inner seams, which are currently just zig-zag stitched to prevent them from fraying.
Make again ? Totally, I already have fabric ideas to make another one. More on that in the next post. 

And now a view of the back : 




2 commentaires:

  1. Great job! I love your fabric choice and overall look. I look forward to reading more of your blog. :) Andrea

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Oh my gosh, my first comment! Thank you so much for these sweet words Andrea!Actually, I haven't yet defined a precise blogging schedule, and as I am a beginner with little time to sew, I think you will not see that many sewing-related posts for the beginning...but it's quite heart-warming to see that at least one person has found my blog, so I'll keep it going!
      Thanks again!
      XX

      Supprimer