vendredi 12 juillet 2013

Fabric splurge : C'est grave, docteur?

Sorry for this title, but I couldn't find how to translate this typically French expression and chose to just leave it this way.

Thanks to some new IRL sewing acquaintances I met through Thread and Needles, I have started rummaging in the bins in my local Toto fabric store (sorry, I'm not giving you the link for their website because it does'nt seem to work, but for those who don't live in France, Toto is a place where you can find fabrics by weight, and when you're lucky it's really, really cheap. They also specialize in wax and African fabrics), and ever since I started, it seems I am doomed. Doomed to never leave this place, whenever I come in, without buying something.

Here's what I scored recently :

Anchor print cotton : this cost me 0.70€ and I think I just have enough for a top. And if I use Colette's Sorbetto pattern, it will be an almost free top - 0.70€ for a garment, who can beat that?









Hokusai Wave cotton in pink : although this 100% cotton fabric has a weird, somewhat paper-y hand, I fell in love with the print the minute I saw it! I hope it is going to be softer once I wash it, though. To keep it in a sort of Japanese/nautical theme, I'll probably make a Sencha blouse with it. All I have left to find is mother-of-pearl buttons to go with it!










Surfboard cotton : I got 3m of this one in 140cm width! This should be more than enought to make the shirt from B 5895. (Now looking for a fabric to make the pants!)

















Lobster cotton : I first saw this fabric in the hands of an old lady, in the "fabrics by weight" section. Of course, I had to have it! I think the tie top from Wearing History's Sunkissed Sweetheart beach separates would really look fun in this print. And maybe I'd have enough to make the matching shorts...we'll see!













Grey/blue linen/viscose blend : I've been looking for AGES for the right chambray/lightweight denim to turn into a Ceylon. I love that pattern, I've had it for over a year and have not made it yet for lack of THE perfect fabric to give it that casual, everyday-wearable (oops...have I just made up a new word?) look...but now I found this fabric, I have no excuse left not to make it!I might also make the back yoke in a contrasting fabric. Plaid, checks, bandana print fabric...something with a western feel to it. What would you think?





Finally, this was not from a splurge but a birthday gift from my sister : a generous yardage of beautiful raspberry pink silk from Lyon, the French city of Silk. I think I will have more than enough of it to make another Sencha top, probably with some beading around the neckline (possibly something inspired by the gown Fleur is wearing in this post...but I have yet to learn how to make it!) 


Well, I think my sewing plan for this summer is going to be heavy!I'll have to get organized, but I don't know what to start with!

1 commentaire:

  1. Wow, what great taste in fabric you have, and perfect sounding plans too!
    PS. your title works better in French, and although I have no French except a few words, I could understand it perfectly - along the lines of 'is it serious, doctor?

    RépondreSupprimer